Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Buenos Presagios (Good Omens)

So yesterday i finished reading Buenos Presagios the translation of Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, a book written in 1990 and that has the Spanish first edition on ... April 2009 ... it's intriguing how some editorials decide to translate not so great books asap and better ones are left on the dust for almost 20 years.

And now onto the book, it's my first Gaiman book, but my n-th Pratchett one and i have to say it lives to the expectation.

It's a novel about the end of the world because of the Armageddon, the coming of the Antichrist, with the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, a witch that did 300 years of exact predictions and an earth-living Angel and Demon that prefer to work together instead of for their far away bosses. All that mixed with the great humour that Pratchett gives to all his books, will have to read some Gaiman to see if it's good too (Just saw he's the writter of Stardust, i haven't read the book but the movie was entertaining). The only thing i did not like much is that book ending is a bit weak in my opinion, but otherwise a very recommended book.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gaiman is great - American Gods is a particular favourite of mine.

scroogie said...

I just wanted to suggest American Gods and come to see that someone else was faster. :)
Otherwise I can only suggest reading Pratchett in English. I've read a few in german, and even one in Spanish when I was studying there, but humour is hard to translate. I liked the newest, 'Nation', a lot as well, although no Discworld novel.
Greetings

awainzin said...

Someone gave me that book a few years ago and I still haven't gotten around to reading it. Guess I'll do that this summer.

Anonymous said...

Gaiman is fantastic. I just read his latest, The Graveyard Book, very good. If you want a tip, Neverwhere is imo one of his best works.
But what you will really like is The Sandman series, if you have not read it yet. Even if you do not like graphic novels, it is still a masterpiece of writing and art.